Monday 25 April 2016

Yoga is a feeling, not a pose

Well, it is a pose too. But for me it is a feeling that binds me to the energy that surrounds me, the spiritual connection I feel as I move and breathe into a pose.

It struck me one evening when we were at the end of our yoga class and everyone was moving into savasana. I had to duck out to the loo and when I returned the room had been dimmed and everyone was lying on their backs, motionless, appearing to be sleeping. Or just doing nothing at all.

It really hit me then and there, because for years I had always felt that this was my most 'active' pose, my most important pose of the whole class. But to watch it in action told me nothing at all about the way it felt. The calming of the breath, the stilling of the mind, the realignment of my limbs after the various poses throughout the class. It was a surprising realisation but one that makes perfect sense.

To truly receive the benefits of yoga, you must feel the pose, the breath moving through your body, the release that each pose provides and the way it enables you to deepen the practice, the tranquillity you experience when you achieve calm and stillness in your body, and the meditative effects.

Namaste my friends:)



No comments:

Post a Comment